Thursday, February 9, 2012

Feet don't fail me now

I had always been a skinny kid. I remember being weighed at 56 pounds in the fifth-grade.
Throughout high school, a lot of sandlot football and pickup basketball kept me in good shape. That, and the three to five miles I had to run every day as part of the high school cross country team.
In college, there was no one yelling at me to run, so I didn't.
I put on some weight (probably healthy in my case), but kept it in check with intramural soccer, wallyball (intramural champs, 1996, yeah, baby) and a lot of trips to the gym for basketball.
In the summer of 1997 I went to England where you have to walk everywhere, and I came back to the States in great shape.
Then I moved off-campus.
Little by little, I started to slip.
Then I graduated and, after a bit of Hoffman-esque floating, got a job.
I was now on one of those water park slides to weight gain.
Finally, I decided to do something about it, for myself and for a new girlfriend who would eventually become my wife.
I started biking. Every day. When it got too cold for biking, I started running, something I never thought I would do again. I was back up to three miles a day.
I was inching ever closer to my college weight, when I walked into a door jamb (something, if you've read the "Kicking Glass" column I seem to have an affinity for) and broke my toe.
I should clarify, I broke one of my toes. Not everyone in Appalachia is without their full compliment of fingers, teeth and toes, people.
As far as injuries go, a broken toe really sucks. Any doctor who is not in it for the money will tell you there's nothing you can do for it except take a lot of Advil.
It's such a tiny injury, but it completely takes you out of commission. You limp around everywhere, and people you approach view you with apprehension, as if you're a shambling zombie drawing ever closer to eat their brains.
I was thrown completely out of my regimen, and, even after the toe healed, I couldn't get back into a routine.
So, I put the weight back on.
Then, I got a job out-of-town where I ate out almost every day for lunch, and, later, every night for dinner when I became a night-dwelling editor type.
Last year, I was put on a doctor's scale and couldn't believe how far out of hand things had gotten.
I was also huffing and puffing in half-court basketball games at my church that didn't involve more than four people.
Time for action.
In February, 2011, I finally started going to the gym that I had a membership at on a regular basis. I even bought a Toronto Maple Leafs shirt that was too small for me as incentive to keep moving.
I was making unbelievable progress.
I dropped 20 pounds in two months, and was within striking distance of 30. I dropped a shirt size. The Leafs shirt fit.
Then, my wife and I took a trip to Naples, Fla.
I hadn't been to a beach in years, and, even though the temperature was nice and not too hot, I forgot how close the sun is to your body in that region.
Long story short (too late, ha) I ended up with second-degree burns on my feet.
I won't describe the condition and treatment of those burns, in case you are eating.
I have broken my left arm twice, and the aforementioned toe, but I don't think anything I've experienced compares to the agony I was in from those burns.
A friend dropped by my house to see how I was doing, looked at my feet, said "Oh, gross," and snapped a picture with the camera on his phone.
I spent the next few weeks at work with bandages beneath sandals and my feet propped up on my overturned garbage can.
Eventually, things healed. But again, I found myself unwilling or unable to get back into a routine.
I didn't put too much weight back on, and kept things steady.
When we visited a friend's house recently, one of their adorable children asked me how much I weighed. I told him. He looked horrified.
"I still have a few pounds to go," I said.
"If I were you, I would lose 100 pounds," he said.
Cute kid.
After some dithering about, I finally returned to my gym.
I'm settling into a good routine, and watching my feet very carefully. I will not let them be my downfall again.
Besides, my wife and I will eventually have children, and I don't want them to have a fat dad, nor a dad who dies at 60 due to complications from diabetes, heart disease or whatever else is waiting for me if I don't right the ship.
So I am 35, and I weigh 220. Do the math and you can see where I came from. But you can also see, especially if you knew me when I was much younger, that I have a long way to go. I plan on getting there sooner rather than later.
That is, as long as my feet don't get mauled by squirrels or something.



 

1 comment:

  1. Man, Oh Man, I know it was my child...That's what we get for encouraging honesty in our house. Thanks for being kind in describing him, "Adorable children...Cute kid." Ha! Don't worry someone will help return the favor to him one day. He'll have to learn to tone that down some, right? Anyway, I am so incredibly proud to hear of your ambitions to take care yourself. I think you already look great! I look forward to hearing about your progress as time goes on. Please keep us all posted!

    ReplyDelete